Luiza Pinheiro, from Riacho Frio in Brazil, was rushed to hospital on Sunday but doctors were unable to revive her.
The 17-year-old’s lifeless body was found on the floor by a relative at about 5pm, the Mirror reported.
A ‘huge electric charge’ had destroyed her phone, which was plugged into a charger.
‘The girl’s grandmother told the doctor that they found her granddaughter unconscious, lying on the floor and with headphones in her ears,’ a hospital spokesman told local media.
‘They said they believe that the young woman had an electric shock because the cell phone was charging and the phone was melted.’
He added: ‘It is stated in the medical record that the girl was admitted to the hospital one hour after the electric shock.
‘The relatives said that the girl had received a shock, but the causes of death will still be confirmed.’
He said it was not raining at the time but there was a lightning storm.
It is not clear exactly how the teenager was electrocuted and the cause of the shock is still under investigation.
A relative found the 17-year-old’s lifeless body on the floor of her home at about 5pm on Sunday afternoon.
They said she was unconscious and her phone, which was plugged into a charger, had been destroyed by a “huge electric charge”. It has not yet been established exactly how the teenager was electrocuted.